Josh sat next to co-host Hoda Kotb and Jennifer -- who is five months pregnant and apparently had to be persuaded to appear -- sat at the news desk when the couple happily announced their "breaking news." The couple have two other sons, Hampton, 3 1/2, and Colby, 1.
Josh was was filling in for the show's co-host, Kathie Lee Gifford. He follows Blake Shelton, Martina McBride, John Rich, and Trisha Yearwood as hosts during the week. Although the previous hosts chose alcoholic beverages to sip during the show, Josh chose sweet tea.
"For New York City, it's not bad," laughed Josh in answer to Hoda's query about the taste.
Some of the highlights from Josh's 'Today' show appearance:
* Trisha, Thursday's co-host who said Josh and Miranda Lambert are her favorite up-and-coming artists, gave Josh tongue-in-cheek advice via a pre-taped video: "I will just tell you Josh to relax. No pressure. There are just millions of people watching you and I did a fabulous job, so ... "
* Josh started singing when he was only three years old, but he still always has stage fright.
* After saying he had vocal problems early in life, Josh said he developed his deep baritone when he was in his late teens or early 20s.
* Randy Travis, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and John Anderson -- a group Josh said he considers the "Mount Rushmore of country music" -- are his main influences.
* Contemporary R&B is another musical format Josh enjoys. "I just love that soul stuff," he said.
* When he's not playing music, Josh enjoys fishing, hunting, walking the dog and playing horseshoes.
* The video he most enjoyed making was 'Firecracker.' "We had firetrucks and ambulances on stand by," Josh recalled. "That's a good sign that you're having a good time."
* Like the previous co-hosts, Josh performed a few songs, including his fifth Top 10 hit, 'All Over Me,' from his 'Haywire' album, and 'Why Don't We Just Dance,' which he modified so as to insert Hoda's name into the lyrics.
* After thanking Hoda for her hospitality to him, his wife and his other band mates, Josh presented her with a basket of goodies from Nashville's Loveless Cafe.