"These pants are too tight to have underwear on," the "One of Those Nights" singer answered with a laugh, sending the crowd into an uproar. "Now I'm really embarrassing my daughters."
Despite his lack of undergarments for the appearance, the country icon did have a lot to say about the "Ellen" undies. "Those things are great. I've been here nine times, [but] that's the only pair that I have. But I just noticed in my dressing room that I have a new pair now."
To rectify the situation even further, Ellen presented Tim with a basket of assorted briefs. "I will wear them with pride and honor," he said with a smile.
Tim brought up his daughters -- Gracie, 15, Maggie, 14, and Audrey, 11 -- again when discussing the current People cover story about his sobriety.
"My girls are getting older and I certainly wanted to have some good solid ground to stand on when I started to talk to them about this situation," he mentioned after explaining that there was no one moment that made him decided to quit drinking five years ago. "My life has been a series of events that told me I shouldn't drink anymore. I felt like it was time to grow up a little bit. I'm not a middle of the road kind of guy. I'm usually all the way, one way or all the way the other. And when I decided I was drinking, I drank."
He alluded that his marriage to Faith Hill had also been a factor. "When you get to a point where you feel it's affecting you adversely, and it's affecting your relationships adversely, then it's time to make a change."
Watch two funny clips from Tim's appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" below.
Tim's stellar Two Lanes of Freedom album hit stores this week. Read The Boot's chat with the country star about the new music here.
See Photos of Tim & Other Movie Star Singers
- Tim McGraw
- Dolly Parton
- Glen Campbell
- Carrie Underwood
- Dwight Yoakam
- Kris Kristofferson
- Reba McEntire
- Taylor Swift
- Trace Adkins
- Faith Hill
- Grammy Fashion Retrospective
- The Judds, 1985
- Reba McEntire, 1986
- Olivia Newton-John, 1987
- Alan Jackson, 1992
- Travis Tritt & Marty Stuart, 1993
- Shania Twain, 1996
- Dixie Chicks, 1999
- Brad Paisley, 2001
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill, 2001
- Lee Ann Womack, 2001
- Sheryl Crow, 2002
- Martina McBride, 2004
- Kelly Clarkson, 2006
- LeAnn Rimes, 2007
- Alison Krauss & Robert Plant, 2009
- Lady Antebellum, 2009
- Taylor Swift, 2010
- Nicole Kidman & Keith Urban, 2011
- Blake Shelton & Miranda Lambert, 2011
- Carrie Underwood, 2012
- Exciting New Music in 2013
- Kenny Chesney's No Shoes Nation Tour
- Tim McGraw, 'Two Lanes of Freedom' Album
- The Band Perry's New Album
- Chris Young Tour, New Music
- ACM Awards' Bromantic Co-Hosts
- Carrie Underwood's Blown Away Tour
- Jason Aldean's Tour & Movie
- Toby Keith Tour, New Music
- Gary Allan's 'Set You Free' Album
- Blake Shelton Tour, Album & Season 4 of 'The Voice'