Rick Diamond, Getty Images
"We are deeply saddened by the sudden death of our band member, Chuck Goff," Keith said in a statement on his website. "He was a close friend for over 25 years, the band leader and bass player. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family."
Goff is credited for writing two of Keith's hits, "You Ain't Much Fun" and "Upstairs Downtown." He created a signature bass through Dean Guitars.
In 2010, Keith told The Boot that Goff was one of the funniest guys he knew.
"You can call him any time and get a laugh," he said. "He ought to have his own radio show. He's funny!"
Contact Music reports that police are still investigating the two-car collision.
- Legendary Songwriter Hal David
- Legendary Songwriter Joe South
- Kitty Wells
- Whitney Houston
- The Band's Levon Helm
- Donna Summer
- Davy Jones
- Dick Clark
- Stuart Swanlund of the Marshall Tucker Band
- Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees
- Donald "Duck" Dunn, Bassist for Booker T & the MGs, the Blues Brothers
- Don Cornelius, "Soul Train" Founder
- Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys
- Earl Scruggs
- Etta James
- Men at Work's Greg Ham